Apply for the SPS year you require:
About Statement of Professional Standing (SPS)
All retail investment advisers must obtain a Statement of Professional Standing (SPS) from an FCA-Accredited Body from the year commencing 1 January 2013. An SPS is valid from the date of application (1st application) or or 12 months from 1 January (renewal)- to 31 December and requires renewal on an annual basis.
CFA UK will issue Statements of Professional Standing to members who comply with the RDR requirements and the conditions below:
- You hold the correct RDR-approved qualifications and have completed the relevant gap-fill (if applicable)
- You are a fully paid-up member of CFA UK for the current membership year
- Pay the £30.00 SPS fee
- You have an active FCA CF30 registration number, or are certified as 'fit and proper' by your firm (if firm affected by Senior Managers and Certification Regime – SMCR)
- You adhere to the CFA Institute or CFA UK Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct and remain a member ‘in good standing’
- You have signed and returned the relevant Disclosure Consent Form
- You adhere to the CFA UK SPS terms and conditions
- You comply with the FCA’s Statements of Principle and Code of Practice for Approved Persons (APER), or with FCA's Code of Conduct (COCON), whichever is relevant to your role
- For an SPS year - commencing 1 January to 31 December - you have completed 35 hours of continuing professional development (CPD) prior to 31 October.
2017 SPS applications will be processed within 1 month from the application date.
If you are renewing or applying for a new 2018 SPS the estimate timelines for the dispatch of your hard-copy 2018 SPS certificate are as per below:
|Date application submitted between||
Estimate certificate dispatch
|01 Sept 2017 to 31 Oct 2017||22 Dec 2017|
|01 Nov 2017 to 31 Dec 2017||31 Jan 2018|
|01 Jan 2018 to 31 Oct 2018||1 month from application date|
2018 SPS applications incur a fee of £30.00 (VAT is not applicable)
|First SPS||Zero hours CPD|
|First renewal of SPS||Prorated CPD from date of first SPS application to 31st October|
|Subsequent renewal of SPS||Total 35 hours (of which a minimum 21 hours must be structured CPD)|
In order for CFA UK to provide the member with an SPS, CFA UK recommends that a member’s CPD log is entered and submitted and the SPS application completed by the end of September each year. The cut-off date for an SPS application and submission of a CPD log is 31 October.
Click here to view the CFA UK CPD Audit Policy P14-17.
Disclosure consent form
Members will be presented with a Disclosure Consent Form (DCF) to download. The DCF will need to be printed, signed, scanned and uploaded as part of the online application each year. The DCF provides CFA UK with the member's consent to share information relating to the member's qualifications, CPD and professional conduct with relevant third parties.
Members will be asked to confirm that they adhere to:
- CFA Institute or UK Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct and are ‘in good standing’. Members are asked to report any pending issues or actions in relation to their professional conduct to CFA UK at the time of submitting their application and at any stage where an issue or action arises in the future.
Please note that CFA UK is unable to provide an electronic copy of an SPS. All requests for a replacement SPS will incur the above fee, including re-issuing an SPS that failed to reach the recipient via post, for any given reason.
The issue of an SPS incurs a £30.00 (VAT not applicable) to active CFA UK members who apply for an SPS for 2018 but CFA UK reserves the right to change the fee for future applications received after that period, and for future years.
A formal request in writing, must be received by CFA UK within 14 calendar days of the SPS application is submitted, to cancel or refund an SPS. A refund is not available after CFA UK has dispatched an SPS or if members have not full met the conditions listed above.
It is the responsibility of the individual member to track their own CPD and to plan in advance to meet any annual requirement to which they may be subject. Members must collect any evidence of actual engagement for the full period of hours recorded in the CPD record/log. Attendance will be monitored as CFA UK deems appropriate. Members are responsible for entering all the required data into their CPD log or members’ account as required.
10% of CPD logs for those members requesting a Statement of Professional Standing (‘SPS) will be audited on an annual basis. Candidates will be informed via email if they are selected for audit and will be required to submit evidence of their CPD within the specified timeframe.
CFA UK reserves the right to contact a member's employer, colleagues, previous employer, third party CPD provider, other Accredited Body, the CFA Institute or the FCA (or other regulatory body) for SPS auditing purposes. Members who refuse to participate in the audit will not be issued with an SPS. Members, who are found via the audit process, to have not complied with the CPD requirements, may have their SPS cancelled by CFA UK if it has already been issued. If an SPS has not yet been issued, members who have not complied with the CPD requirements will not be issued with an SPS. CFA UK will notify the FCA of all SPS withdrawn. Appeals to the outcome of the audit can be submitted in writing no later than two weeks after the audit results are released.